We are so excited to journey through Advent with you. Advent in a Box is an innovative downloadable resource for your church filled with activities and devotions to help your families celebrate Advent together.
With this downloadable resource, your church will create pizza boxes filled with all-age devotions and activities to distribute to families to help them celebrate Advent at home. Everything a family needs to do the activities will be in the box (aside from normal household supplies like markers and tape). We have created the devotions and activities for you. You will need to print the materials, buy the supplies, and pack your boxes. The cost to buy the needed supplies to complete the boxes will be under $5 per box. Since supplies are purchased in bulk, the price will vary depending on how many boxes you are making.
Advent is also a great time to consider how you can reach out into your community. Consider making extra boxes and challenge each family in your faith community to give away at least one box to a friend or neighbor!
This year we are offering 2 unique versions of Advent in a Box. The scope, sequence and samples of each version are listed below. Wondering how to decide which version is right for you? Read more here.
2019 Advent in a Box Scope, Sequence and Samples (Year A)
- December 1 – Advent 1, Hope (Romans 13:13, Philippians 2:13-14, Luke 1)
- December 8 – Advent 2, Peace (Isaiah 11:1-10, Luke 1, Matthew 1)
- December 15 – Advent 3, Love (James 5:7-8, Luke 2:1-7)
- December 22 Advent 4, Joy (Isaiah 7:14, Luke 2:9-14, Matthew 2:1-11)
List of what is included in your download of 2019 Advent in a Box:
- Amazon shoppling list
- Directions for creating your own Advent Wreath and 5 Advent Candling Lighting Devotions sample
- Directions and templates for building your own Nativity sample
- 8 Nativity Character Devotions sample
- 4 Hands on Activities based on Year A lectionary passages sample
- 4 Hands on Prayer Activities sample
- Hospitality Challenge
- Instruction sheet and templates for the box stickers
Advent in a Box Edition 1 Scope, Sequence and Samples
- December 1 – Advent 1, Hope (Matthew 1:23, Romans 15:4, Psalm 147:10-11)
- December 8 – Advent 2, Joy (Luke 2:8-12, Philippians 4:4-7)
- December 15 – Advent 3, Peace (Luke 2:13-14, Colossians 3:15, John 14:27)
- December 22 – Advent 4, Love (Matthew 5:14-16, Luke 2:32, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
Samples of what is included in your download of Advent in a Box Edition 1:
- Amazon shoppling list
- 4 Scripture cards sample
- 4 family devotions sample
- 4 hands on activities sample
- 4 interactive prayer activities sample
- 4 stories of God at work in the lives of His people sample
- 4 Shine Your Light Challenges for the whole family sample
- Templates for creating your own Advent Candles sample
- Advent Candle Lighting Directions sample
- Instruction sheet and templates for the box stickers sample
- Reverse Advent Box instructions sample
What they’re saying…
Robin introduced Advent in a Box to Deep Creek United Methodist Church in Chesapeake, VA when she served as our Program Director. These boxes were an instant hit with the families of our church and children’s center. They served as a way to bring families together during a busy time of the year and helped them focus on the true meaning of Advent and Christmas. The activities had families talking and thinking about the coming of our Lord. We will be using them again this year. What a great way to disciple generations together!
I use the Advent box as my daily devotion during the season. The 15 minutes each day gives me time to reflect on peace, joy, hope, so that I am better able to show love to others during this hectic time of year.
We did the advent boxes for the first time this year and our families loved it! Looking forward to incorporating Lent in a Box and seeing what they think. This is such a great tool if anyone is on the fence.
There was so much that I liked about Advent in the Box. I loved the hands on activities and that all the supplies were in the box that you needed.
This is a great tool to reach not only families within the church but also those in the community. I am currently making 200 boxes to share with the church members, children attending our children’s center and some extras for members to share with their friends. We are very excited to be using the Family Ministries Tools Advent in a Box this advent season.
This well thought out, creative resource for families provides an easy but enriching process for observing the season of Lent and exploring its themes of temptation, perseverance, repentance, and mercy; and practicing the disciplines of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.
The advent in a box quickly became a favorite family activity in our house. As with any step family, we are always looking for ways to connect across the miles. Sharing box in VA and one in CO afforded us the opportunity to connect across the miles and continue to share our passion for Christ.
I loved the content and the shopping list!
I love how this is so easy for busy families to digest.
We loved the Advent in a box, and were very excited to open and do the next day. It is a wonderful family activity during the most wonderful season of the year!
We noticed that in this particular outreach many grandparents took a box for their children/grandchildren. A great way to reach out to the next generations.
Our family has used Advent in a Box for the past few Advent seasons. It gives us a time to come together as a family and reflect on the season as well as have some fun together. The projects are easy and we have some wonderful family keepsakes from these boxes.
LOVED that it could just be downloaded – a huge time saver.
Lent in a Box…if you haven’t ever tried Advent in a Box, then you need to check this out now! The products from this organization are easy to prepare, fun and engaging for all ages, and great learning tools for churches and families!! We 💜 Family Ministry Tools and especially its creators!
As a youth leader I enjoy talking to the kids about what they have learned.
I just wanted to tell you how thrilled my families were with the activities. They seemed to hit all learning styles of the children and the feedback from my families was very good.
Loved the list of supplies with the direct link or item number to purchase on Amazon. This was a life saver!
The depth, yet simplicity of it.